Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Flash Your Peace Signs

Hey everyone, another guest post from Adriana!

I am a self-proclaimed hippie. Yeah, it’s not the 60’s anymore and I don’t casually do LSD on the reg’, but I identify with the good vibe mindset and simplicity of living that occurred during my parents’ generation. In my opinion, a modern-day hippie is someone who wants to live in the moment, contemplate the universe, generate good vibes, and fight for important causes. These folks just understand the substance of life and pursue their passions while making casual political statements.

This image is something completely opposite from our generation’s identity aspirations. In this modern technology era, the millennials aim to create their mark on this Earth by updating their FB prof pic, taking a perfect selfie, and maintaining meaningless relationships. Where’s the uncomplicated lifestyle that the Hippies (our parents!) created? It seems like the more technology takes over our lives, the more the media infiltrates our thoughts, which leads to an increase in this young generation losing their originality.

Where is the substance in a life consumed by technology? I am sick of spending time with my friends and their smart-phones. Notice it. At any gathering of millennials, almost every person will have their cellphone in their hand or on the table. Back in the day, people had to interact with one another and not resort to anti-social cell-phone behaviors. They had to live in the moment because they didn’t have the luxury of an IPhone 5 distraction. Where are the peace, tranquility and serenity of a simple life that was created in the ‘60s? Not here.

As always, I want my life to be a statement to my generation (hey, what the hell else am I gunna do?). I want to show other millennials that losing a bit of technology and gaining some common decency will change their lives. I want to show my generation that gaining a Hippie mindset will probably reduce the stress of such a fast-pace lifestyle. Let’s chill a bit. You don’t need to answer that text right now. You don’t need to stress about your future. You don’t need to take a picture of that beautiful sunset. Just be still. Be in the moment. Take in all the sounds, images, and vibes of whatever the present moment brings you. That moment will be significant, but you don’t need to share it with your 1,000 Facebook friends. They won’t understand that moment and they don’t need to, either. It was for you.

Now look at the standards of beauty for women in the ‘60s. They look fantastically natural…and beautiful. Long, un-dyed hair and minimal to no make-up. Well, I’ve adopted these practices. I’ve never dyed my hair and I don’t wear make-up anymore unless I’m going to a party. And it feels fantastic. I don’t want to strive for beauty perfection. I will never be Barbie and I never want to fucking be her. I want to feel comfortable in my own skin (super cheesy, but whatevs!).

So to summarize: Modern-day Hippies don’t have to subscribe to the stereotypical boho attire (but that’s pretty rockin anyways!) or the lack of regular hygiene routines (hey, whatever!) or even experimental drug use. But they can represent compassion to oneself and others, the simplification of their lives, and a philosophical approach.

So flash yo peace signs, listen to your rockin’ music, make your political statements, and give out your free love, my friends!


 Peace & Love,
Adriana

2 comments:

  1. Well said Adriana. It would be wonderful if more people would show their true natural self instead of choosing to hide behind technology or live life behind a facade. As you know, the personal rewards are irreplaceable. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment Auntie Kim! Happy New Year! Peace & Love!

      Delete