Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Recommended Children's Books

I am a speech-language pathologist, and as a part of my graduate education, I had to take courses and seminars and complete real-life clinicals within the pediatric population. At one time, I thought that I would work with kids after I graduated, but I am working with adults now. I think one day I'll go back to working in the schools with preschool kids, but for now I am happy working in the nursing home. 

I still enjoy going on Pinterest and perusing arts and crafts and activities to do with kids in speech therapy. During one of my clinical placements in the Boston Public Schools, I would often use a book to target the child's goals in therapy (e.g. vocabulary, increasing expressive language, etc.). I've used several books, some good, some not so good; so, I've decided to share some of my favorites with you.

The Jacket I Wear in the Snow
Great for labeling body parts and clothing

The Very Noisy Night

Increase & use vocabulary through pictures 

Frog and Toad Together

Wh- questions

I Need a Friend

Increase & use vocabulary through pictures 

We Share Everything

Targets sharing skills

The Little Red Hen (Makes a Pizza)

Sequencing steps to make a pizza
Labeling food & animals


Today is Monday

Labeling days of week, food, and animals with a sing-a-long

If You Give a Moose a Muffin

Cause and effect

There’s a Billy Goat in the Garden

Targets big, bigger, biggest

We’re Making Breakfast for Mother

Rhyming and labeling breakfast vocab

Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus

Learning emotions--happy, sad, mad, and excited

Most of the books above are appropriate for ages two- to eight-years-old. I used most of these books in a preschool with kids who had literacy difficulties or in a special needs elementary school program.

Enjoy sharing these books with the young kids in your life! Many of the books above have great arts and craft activities too!

No comments:

Post a Comment