Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Invest in Positive Friendships

Hey everyone, another guest post from Adriana!

You could call me a true optimist. During good or bad situations, I always believe that the Universe planned my life to happen that way. Even in a downright awful circumstance, I think the situation can be manipulated once I change my cognitions about it.

However, there are days when people are sucking the life out of me. All I want to do is cry, verbally abuse them on Facebook, or leave an angry voicemail to get my point across. I get frustrated; I try to cope; and, sometimes, I forget the skills to overcome this negativity.

But then, clarity strikes. I see the negative people as they are: Negative. Never changing. Soul-sucking. Fucking horrible. I realize that their pessimism is exactly why I got rid of them in the first place.

In middle school and high school, it is acceptable to keep friends who serve you no purpose. They may be gossipers, arrogant, self-absorbed, or ignorant, but you keep them around anyways. Worst of all, you never stand up to them. You let them bully others and even yourself. You begin to believe their bullshit banter and you leave your opinions in the dust because of fear. The fear of rejection. But, as you age, you realize, “WHY AM I FRIENDS WITH ASSHOLES?”

Great question, right? Why do we settle for shitty friends? Guess what! We don’t have to. There is a choice involved. As Oprah once said, “Surround yourself with only people who are going to lift you higher.” Let’s dedicate our time to those who bring us support, love, and acceptance. It’s important to be surrounded by those who celebrate your achievements as though they are rejoicing their own. Mumford & Sons has a song, “Awake My Soul,” which lyrics say: “And where you invest your love, you invest your life.” So, let’s invest our love wisely. Get rid of the negative people.

But if you don’t trust me, trust Miley when she says...
“Forget the haters, 'cause somebody loves ya.”
Peace & Love,
Adriana

2 comments:

  1. Lauren: I didn't realize you had a blog. I love this post from Adriana and I'm so excited to read your past posts and follow your new ones.

    Adriana: Nice post with wise advice. A true friend does celebrate your achievements as if they were her own, as does she feel your hurt as her own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jenn! Adriana enjoys guest posting a lot...she's a wise woman! Hope you and the family are doing well! Hi to Bo :) Hope the training is going well!

    ReplyDelete